In the early years, the club had a cabin on Badger Lake that was used to house the hired help. When there was no longer a need for the cabin it was moved to a lot near Fox Road and Chipmunk and the cabin and lot were raffled off.
The idea of a golf course was born in 1928; with the help of golf course architect Willie Robertson plans were soon developed. By 1931, we were ready for our first golf pro to run the operation of our nine-hole golf course. The course was such a success that by the 1960s it was expanded to eighteen holes.
Also in1928 Lost Lake Woods established an airplane landing field near the current No. 2 fairway on the golf course. However, the airstrip was infrequently used, and eventually it was moved out beyond the current horse barns. It is no longer shown on maps as a functioning airstrip, and in the past few years its primary use has been by radio-controlled model airplane enthusiasts.
The subdivision began with a single ranch house cabin belonging to C. G. McPherson. By 1931 there were 26 cabins and by the 1960s the subdivision had grown to 175 dwellings. Today there are 534 cabins and homes within the subdivision. Some are used only as weekend and vacation retreats, others as half-year residences, and others as permanent, year-round homes.
In 1932 electric power was supplied to Lost Lake Woods Club and the Sturgeon Point Coast Guard Station via branch lines running off the main lines that supplied power to Spruce and both side of Hubbard Lake. This power supplied only the area near the clubhouse and it was not unusual for everything to go completely dark when too much was plugged in. It was not until 1948 that electric power was supplied to the subdivision.
In 1942 Consumers Power Company received permission from Alcona County Board of Supervisors to name the roads in the county. Ours were among those named, and it must have been a nature lover who did such a great job of picking the trees and animals of the forest. Hunters and fishermen love what our woods and waters provide all year round.
Deer hunting was the primary attraction when the club was originally launched, and it provided a chance for father and son to bond during those two weeks in November. In the late 1940s and early 1950s it was not unusual for the club to have as many as 500 hunters here for opening day.
The night before the opening there was a big party at the clubhouse with lots of food and a bingo game with prizes donated by local merchants. All the hunters wore their hunting clothes for the party, as they were probably the only clothes they brought with them. In those days, hunters went out into the woods in the dark before sunrise and didnt come back in from the woods until it was dark again, unless the hunter bagged his deer.
In 1936, 24 Lost Lake Woods Club members introduced turkey to our woods. In addition to the deer and turkey, members have hunted bear, raccoon, fox, coyote, bobcat, rabbit, duck and a variety of birds. There are also scheduled pheasant shoots throughout the year. Many of our members hone their marksmanship skills by making use of the skeet and trap field, the rifle range and the archery range. Various events during the year keep the competition strong, encourage members to improve their skills and provide great teaching opportunities for learning the proper respect for a firearm or bow.